Alpine Testing Solutions is seeking an advanced graduate student to work with our psychometric team for an 8-week internship during the summer of 2021.
About Alpine Testing Solutions, Inc.
Alpine is a unique and innovative company as compared to other companies in the industry for several reasons:
- Alpine’s focus is on providing custom psychometric solutions to our clients encouraging our team to be innovative in our provided solutions.
- As a relatively small company with ~60 employees, we do not have the organizational complexities experienced in a large corporation. However, 20% of Alpine’s staff are Ph.D.-level psychometricians, so we have a great deal of expertise and depth of knowledge on staff benefiting both our clients as well as our fellow team members.
- Our psychometric team provides services across a wide range of industries including professional credentialing, IT credentialing, government, and education.
- We are completely virtual meaning that all employees work from home.
- We are 100% employee owned so staff are literally invested in the company and its success.
The successful candidate will work virtually with a mentor on the psychometric team for the duration of the 8 weeks. The work will primarily occur in July and August; however, the exact dates can be determined in collaboration with the successful candidate. The position requires 40 hours a week, during business hours, for the internship duration. Total compensation for this opportunity is $6,400.
The work will consist of a mix of operational work and research, potentially including tool construction and/or literature reviews. The specific focus of the project will be determined based on the candidate’s abilities and interests that best align with our project needs. The projects of interest include:
- Qualitative Research [Primary Project of Interest]: For example, develop methods, procedures, and software expertise for using qualitative research methods to analyze essays/open-ended survey responses. Experience with Ascribe a plus.
- Rubric Development. For example, conduct a literature review to support the development of a standardized rubric-development process that could be used for performance/constructed-response exam scoring across multiple types of assessment programs.
- Credential Market Research. For example, develop a generalizable process to be used in collecting market data and rationale to support the development, revision, or expansion of new/existing credentials.
- Machine Learning/Alternative Data Analysis: For example, develop methods, procedures, and software expertise for using diverse data sources to inform psychometric processes (e.g., job analyses) or supplement assessment data when making assessment-based decisions.
- Many Facet Rasch Analysis: For example, develop methods, procedures, and software expertise for using the Many-Facets Rasch Measurement model to inform psychometric processes (e.g., job analyses, standard setting, constructed-response scoring).
- Automated Item Generation: For example, conduct a literature review to support the development of automated item generation processes that could be used for creating exam content across multiple types of assessment programs.
The successful candidate will work with their assigned mentor to negotiate the specific research goals and related work for the research project. Throughout the summer, the intern will be expected to meet regularly with their mentor to provide progress updates and work collaboratively on the project. At the conclusion of the internship, there will be a presentation to the psychometric team and ideally the project will result in conference presentation proposals and/or journal submissions.
- Two years of completed coursework and active enrollment in a Ph.D. program in educational measurement, psychometrics, I/O psychology, or related field.
- Exceptional critical thinking skills
- Self-motivated and able to work independently
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Experience with relevant software
To apply for this opportunity, please submit a curriculum vitae as well as a letter of interest to firstname.lastname@example.org by May 31, 2021.